Friday, November 4, 2011

Day 4

Today I am thankful for grandparents. My grandparents were two of the most loving and hardworking people. Many, many of my childhood memories are wrapped up in everyday moments with my Nanny and Grandpa as we called them. Coming from a family of 8, my Nanny and Grandpa would come over if not daily, every other day to help my Mother. My Nanny would do our laundry and ironing and I would sit beside her as she ironed with my child sized ironing board, metal toy iron and either doll clothes or my grandpas hankies.

Back when i was a kid, cereal boxes would always come with some cool toy and sometimes iron-on decals. Those are the ones I insisted onfought my sisters over because I had a very special place in mind for those super-man logos...my grandpas hankies lol. As my nanny would iron, I'd press my toy iron against hers to get mine hot, and go to work on those special handkerchiefs. My grandpa would act so surprised when he knew I was watching and he'd pull out his hanky to fake a sneeze just so I could see his "surprise" at his formerly white hanky sport in a superman sign

This is just one of the many special memories I have, some day I'll share more, but it was their legacy they shared with my parents, that got passed down to me and my siblings that I'm most thankful for. The many prayer meetings, the hugs with whispered prayers, the singing and joy...I thank God for them and am so grateful that my children have many memories themselves of their special grandparents on both sides and are even now at this moment creating memories that will be with them when they are grown..."Grandchildren are the crown of the aged, and the glory of children is their Fathers" Prov 17:6

No comments: