Saturday, January 10, 2009

Why Do I Cloth Diaper?

I've been asked this by so many people, its not even funny!  So why do I, with all I have to do with so many little ones running around, choose to cloth diaper?  

Well it all started when Malacai was 4 months old.  He had a TERRIBLE rash that I just could not cure.  After spending tons of money on different types of creams/powders, I went to a local store in the area called Mother and Child which focuses on natural mothering...they sell used items as well as new. They have a lot of natural items for babies, so I went hoping they could point me in the right direction. 

They did!  They showed me all their diapering creams, and right beside it 
was a huge section of cloth diapers.  I had never even considered that people still did that!  Well Karen, the awesome owner, showed me all they had and what she though was the best for Malacai and his skin.  

I went home and found fuzzibunz.com and
 ordered an all inclusive package of 18 medium fuzzi bunz, inserts, doublers, wet bags, pail liners, cloth wipes, wipe spray, and detergent.  I think it was $350.  I used them until Malacai was 18 months.  So 14 months of everyday use, and they still looked great!  His chubby thighs weren't quite fitting in them anymore, and he was on the last snap, so I started looking into other options.   And get this, I sold all 18 with just the inserts for $200!  So I kept the 2 pail liners (use them everyday) all the doublers, wipes, and wetbags, and still sold the diapers for $200!  I figure I diapered him for 12 months for about $75!  

And then I found diaperswappers.com and all my savings went out the window, cause I just had to try everything that was out there!  LOL  My husband says diapers are my hobby. :)

Anyways, now I cloth diaper both babies, and love every minute of it.  I mean the savings is great, but how about not putting on a chemical laden disposable (could they be a reason so many people have reproductive issues?), but a fluffy organic cotton prefold next to my baby's reproductive organs?  Or that we have no diaper trash lying around, or that we never have to make an emergency run to walmart to get diapers/wipes.  

I don't know, it just feels right...

Then, there's the cuteness factor.  Who could help but love a baby running around in a cloth diaper, or wool longies that no one else has because they are one of a kind, hand knit?

Can you tell I'm addicted?  Here are some fluffy bum pictures from the last 2 years :)

No comments: